Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April theme day: Yellow


There always seems to be road works going on here... and for each worksite there is a lollipop person with a sign that is red on one side (stop) and yellow on the other (slow). The first time I saw someone holding a "slow" sign it made me laugh out loud - like it was some sort of admission. I suppose I've gotten used to them now...

You've got to hand it to this lady. The sun was beating down and she had the full gear on but she seemed to be in great spirits. She was slightly bemused as to why I would roll down the window and ask permission for a snap (in the passenger seat unlike last Friday you will be pleased to know) but obliged anyway. I didn't have time to tell her about my blog so she doesn't know it's up here. I'm sure that's breaking some sort of blogger moral code...sorry!



Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

10 comments:

Julie said...

I had to laugh about your interpretation of slow!

Yesterday in Sydney we had this massive very big blackout, and all the police stations were emptied and every available copper had to do point duty. Some who even had no clue as to how to go about this: like detectives and such. They all had this sort of yellow jacket and sometimes combined it with a gun holster, boardies and thongs. They were so harrassed they did not even understand why all the passers by were grinning at them ...

Sally said...

I read somewhere that most of the "Stop-Go" people are backpackers on Working Holiday Visas these days....I wonder if she is.

Lowell said...

She actually looks like she's enjoying being photographed.

Denton said...

Great photo Cara ... I especially like your "lollipop person" phrase ... thanks to the lollipop lady for letting you take the photo and bravo to you for asking ... happy theme day.

Jane Hards Photography said...

It's always slow here. I'm sure she'll be thrilled with this image. I didn't know you had lollipop people too. I thought that was such a Britidh thing.

cara said...

Thanks for your comments!

Julie - the image sounds hilarious... don't suppose you got a picture??

Sally - I must admit I haven't seen too many backpacker types doing lollipop duties round here... most have that deep, deep tan you get from standing in the Aussie sun all your life. This lady was pretty "dinky-di" herself.

Jacob - I hope so - but she just seemed in an all round good mood to start with.

Denton - Lollipop people are in Britain and Australia. Lots of kids in both countries grow up with them as they are employed to stop traffic so kids can cross the road to go to school. As far as I know Britain doesn't have the slow/stop traffic lollipops like this one here.

Babooshka - Funny I thought the same thing too... Aussies also do morning and afternoon tea quite a lot which is something so traditionally "English" that you don't really come across it in England any more.

Jim said...

Great idea to feauture the Lollipop Lady.

Jilly said...

I fell about at your interpretation of slow! this is a lovely and different choice for today's theme.

VP said...

Many different tones of yellow here, very good shot.

Neo said...

Yah, i agree with the rest...is a good shot!

My eyes are wandering around the whole photo to pick up all the tones of yellow. :)

Happy Theme Day!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails